Pages

9.11.2012

The NICU Experience

Miss Madilyn had to spend 2 1/2 days in the NICU following her birth.  She had to receive  IV antibiotics for a possible infection, as well as having a condition in which she had too many red blood cells, and she also became jaundiced.  Her transfer to the NICU was unexpected.

I would not wish for anyone to be separated from their newborn.  It has been by far the hardest time of my life.  To see your newborn attached to monitors and hooked up to an IV is gut wrenching.  And I almost think it is worse because of my medical knowledge.

What I am thankful for is the fact that I have worked beside these nurses during my clinical rotation in the NICU and knew that she was in the hands of some of the best nurses I have met! Madilyn quickly earned the title of “NICU Diva” and had them wrapped around her finger!

While it was hard to see my little angel in there, I was also very thankful that she was not critical as many of the babies in the NICU were.  The night that Madilyn was born another mother delivered twins at an early gestational age.  One of the babies was stabilized and sent to a NICU that can handle infants weighing less than 2lbs.  The other twin grew their angel wings that night.  I cannot imagine the heartache that family went through! I was blessed to have a healthy newborn!!

Here is a sampling of our NICU experience in photos!

IMG_0599IMG_0601IMG_0603IMG_0608IMG_0609IMG_0611IMG_0610IMG_0614IMG_0612IMG_0626IMG_0632IMG_0619IMG_0620IMG_0637IMG_0639IMG_0660IMG_0663IMG_0665IMG_0655

6 comments:

  1. Ohh, Sweethearts....
    You've been in our prayers all along.. Your little family is so sweet and blessed.
    Love
    & Butterfly kisses
    Bill & kare

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very wonderful and sweet! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the little foot with the bandage hurts my heart. she is so sweet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that your little one had to go through this! Glad to hear she is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad it was short lived! Sweet shots of Grandma and Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy she home and safe. :) Love all the photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting When You Stumble Dance! I love to read your comments, thoughts, or suggestions :)